In the late 1940s, in response to a massive Post War influx of Jews to Melbourne (Australia) a group of newly-arrived Jewish migrants established the Yeshivah Centre, an organisation committed to the provision of a wide range of educational, social, welfare and cultural services to the Jewish community.
In 1949, Yeshivah Centre opened a Jewish day school with only 3 full-time students. The qualitative success of this school led, in 1954, to the purchase of the Yeshivah College at 92 Hotham Street. This was followed by the purchase of a property to house Beth Rivkah Ladies College on 14 Balaclava Road in 1959, and 16-20 Balaclava Road in 1969. In 1958, Rabbi Y D Groner OBM arrived in Melbourne as an emissary of the Lubavitcher Rebbe OBM in order to take up the position of full time Director of the Yeshivah Centre.
Honorary officers were appointed to assist him in operating the organisation. Since that time, the Yeshivah Centre has enjoyed tremendous growth and success and has become one of the largest, most respected Jewish Organisations in the Southern Hemisphere.